Thursday, May 22, 2008

2nd day of work.. and surviving (thank god it's Thursday)

Well day 2 of work and instead of a sleepless night i just didn't have enough sleep. Guess that's what happens when you stay up an extra hour to play Crash Bandicoot... Anyhow, i forgot to mention that i experienced by first peak hour crush on the MTR, it wasn't too bad (meaning that it could have been worse) people are actually pretty good on the train. You're not packed like sardines, you still have enough 'personal' space (if you know what i mean). I can still remember getting stuck on a packed City Rail train once on the Cronulla/Sutherland which had decided to skip Rockdale station so by the time it got to Kogarah people were throwing people out of the way to get off (pfft, so inconsiderate!).


OK, back to my second day of work. It was a promising start, got into work and found that my boss had given me something interesting to do - investigating and sorting out the transitioning of support of an application into our team (my specialty!). That killed a couple of hours. It's about 1pm at the moment so the day still has a chance of getting boring but we'll have to see.

....

Evening update, you know I spoke to soon. I ended up spending the rest of the day 'dawdling' over the work my boss gave me, coz the next thing i had to do was get him to check my plan (he was away today) and then talk to the gurus of the application... started to fall asleep around 4:30pm and i still had 1.5hrs to go - i guess i could have left but i felt sorry for my team mates - 1 of whom is a work-aholic and can't say no to people, the other is like me but he's been there longer so is actually expected to support systems he knows nothing about...

The strange thing i noticed is people know they don't know but don't appear to be doing any troubleshooting it's sooo weird and not very productive, can't wait to get my hands dirty and start learning stuff...


You know i've really decided that i like Sydney food better, at least i like the Sydney supermarkets betters. It's more suited to my tastes - I mean not being able to read a lot of Chinese doesn't help but still i'm just never in the mood to go out and actually buy anything particular to eat. Instead i just stock up at the supermarket with 'western' stuff which ends up costing more than if i'd just gone and got a bowl of noodles...

For example, after bolting from work at 6pm i headed to causeway bay and did some shopping at causeway bay. my shopping yielded: a block of cheese, sliced bread, korean/japanese cold stuff to eat with rice and then i headed home and made rice, fried some dumplings up (which didn't turn out so good - definitely need to get a new frying pan and saucepan) and sat down and ate most of it... not so much fun eating by yourself. It's all the little things that make you miss home and the fact that work hasn't picked up makes me feel like i'm wasting my time. Next week on i'm going to spend less on food (i actually think i may be putting on weigh argh!!! - definitely cut down on food... but it's so hard - the only good thing is that i'm not snacking... much)

I really do need to get off my butt though, these people rarely get off their chairs - i'm surprised not many people suffer from 'office butt' - oh well only i more day to go (and it's casual dress tomorrow and there are friday drinks as well BONUS!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought at this time of year the markets are full of fresh seafood? Why don't you hop on a ferry to Lamma or Cheung Chau this weekend, drink some (beer, tea, other?), eat some garlic prawns, chill out, strike up a conversation with some tourists, walk around the island.

Anyway, the first couple of weeks is always the hardest. If you are suffering from western food withdrawal, I suggest Oliver's. It certainly helped me get through some dark hours.

Be well.

Ian

wonx said...

Wow hong kong sounds really like singapore! especially workings hours, the food except no one here lines up for the "mrt". So where do u work in HK?